Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Eclipse and Me

Welcome to this, my Eclipse blog.

I love Eclipse.

I hate Eclipse.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

Now, as for why ... well, that would take a while to explain. Hence the blog. Assuming I don't just forget about it and abandon it after a week, it will contain various and sundry brain dumps as to my experiences. Mostly, this will mean rants. Lengthy, irate, marginally coherent rants, in which emotions will be heightened, conclusions jumped to, complaints made personal (so long as we understand Eclipse to be a "person"), and objective reality distorted by an urgent need to put anger and frustration into words in a public medium.

Let's face it - when Eclipse does something cool (like with its extensive refactoring tools), I'm just not as likely to need to vent. Hopefully I'll remember to post something positive once in a while. If I don't, it won't be because I love Eclipse less, but because I'm in a bad mood.

Or I'm in a good mood, and just feel like ranting.

So if you're an Eclipse dev or other aficionado, please don't take this too personally. Remember, there are reasons I use Eclipse so much - in many ways it's a terrific piece of software. If it weren't such a great product, its failings wouldn't piss me off near as much. But oh, do they ever piss me off ...

And so, without further ado ... please enjoy “Eclipse and Me.”

Leif

No comments: